During a week in June, 12 area high school juniors joined the 70-student Indiana Youth Tour delegation to Washington, D.C. Students visited numerous monuments and memorials, met with legislators on Capitol Hill, and interacted with thousands of students from other states.
Students also attended a Youth Rally hosted by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA), where Tipmont journeyman lineman Matt Bassett spoke about his volunteer work electrifying international communities.
Additionally, William Henry Harrison High School student Cora Wood was chosen as Indiana’s Youth Leadership Council delegate. In addition to a $1,000 scholarship, Cora will represent Indiana at the 2023 NRECA Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee. Cora is the first Tipmont student selected as Indiana’s delegate since North Montgomery’s Kaidlyne Neukam in 2015.
Applications for the 2023 Youth Tour will open in December.
TIPMONT YOUTH TOUR STUDENTS
- Colten Adams, Benton Central Jr.-Sr. High School
- Justin Cree, McCutcheon High School
- Emerson Gilman, Harrison High School
- Ainsley Heinz, Harrison High School
- Thomas Laffoon, North Montgomery High School
- Todd Laffoon, North Montgomery High School
- Eduardo Lopez, Harrison High School
- Autumn Miller, Harrison High School
- Hope Plassard, Harrison High School
- Dan Sanson, McCutcheon High School
- Carolyn Smoldt, Harrison High School
- Jaylon Steiner, McCutcheon High School
- Cora Wood, Harrison High School